Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Piano-(oh,oh,oh)-Show Me Photo Challenge

My grandfather passed away somewhere around my 5th year of life. I have no memories of him. He left me this music box. It has been through a lot. When you are a kindergartner; you don't take real good care of stuff. Try as you might. So it's been dropped once or twice, and taken some bangs and bruises along the way. One of the legs is cracked and glued. The lid (What do you call the top of a piano?)has a decent crack in it too. Still cranks out a tune though.

Can you guess its real purpose? Hint: How do you fit a Camel into a piano? Can you tell where the matches go? When you lift the lid, (with it wound up), it plays a tune that my sister and I sing along with. It goes like this: Piano, piano, pi-a-a-a-noooo....




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL - I love your song and story.....good job!

Carletta said...

Is this an old cigarette box?
How unusual that it played music.
It's nice you have a keepsake to remind you of someone special you don't remember.
I don' recall ever seeing anything like this - thanks for sharing.

Anndi said...

That's a beautiful piece. I too lost my grandfather quite young, I have very few memories of him... but I cherish the ones I do have. Mom had a ring made from some diamonds that were on a ring my grandfather wore, and now I have it. It's been through a lot too and is misshapen, but I still love it.

Raven said...

Very interesting music box/cigarette box... and something special that ties you to someone you didn't really get to know.

Robert said...

I was quite interested to see what you'd pick cause you don't seem like a "things" person. Except for that swell camera someone perhaps! This was fun. I think every 5 year old should be given cigarette boxes. :)

Anonymous said...

Never have seen one of these before...very interesting piece...and very good post about it!

Huse Yo Mama said...

That's very interesting!

Thanks for, like, the comment on my, like, blog. You're so, like, right about the 'likes.'

I'll have to snoop around your blog a little more. Your photos are great! Thanks for visiting.