Sunday, June 16, 2013

Good Parenting---Fodder For Father's Day


Children raised well---you know it when you see it. At the gas station today our car was lined up behind one with three teenage girls in it. After getting gas two of the girls got out of the car to go into the min-mart. The one driving got out of the car, said bye to them and moved her car out of the lane. I pointed out that her gas tank wasn’t closed and she gave me an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Small thing but you know it when you see it.

A friend of ours has children excelling in school and involved in social services. When we go over to visit the children do not greet us nor engage in conversation. It could be a case of children seen and not heard. You wonder when you don’t see it.

Fatherhood teaches both the father and the children. As a father I have the choice to be selfish or giving. I remember a time when my daughter, small enough to fit on my chest, was sick and would only sleep laying on me. I spent the night lying on the floor, daughter on chest thinking, “This is what fathers do.”

That little girl has grown into a mature teenager. She excels in school. Significantly greater is that she is gracious, wise and well mannered. At sixteen when most teens are rebelling mine still tells me what’s going on in her life.

Fatherhood is part parenting and part communicating character. The hope is that I exhibit enough positives that she sees and models.  How will my daughter turn out? You’ll know it when you see it.

No comments: