Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Driftwood 2- Passion, Preaching and Customer Service

“Man, they’re right over there. Read the labels and pick one. You’ll figure it out yourself.” You’ve cruised down to your local TJ’s because you’re having a big party and you want the perfect red wine for your guests. What you wanted was service and helpful advice. What you got was neither.
Alright, so you weren’t expecting a sommelier, but someone who was experienced and knowledgeable about wines would have been great. I have similar expectations when I go to church. I’m not expecting one of the apostles to do the teaching, nor even a Jonathan Edwards. But I do want someone who has given careful thought and consideration to the text.
I don’t think the sermon this week should sound exactly like the sermon last week; or last year. Nor do I want pleasant platitudes or someone’s view of current events. What I want to know is if you’ve wrestled with the text. Have you wandered through the wilderness and seen the burning bush? Or at least gone off to a quiet place and thought, prayed, sought and stayed until you had an insight.
One of my past pastors used to equate his teaching to bringing the congregation a meal. His thinking on the matter was that it should be prepared up and served up as exquisitely as possible. That’s my expectation when I go to church. The Psalmist said, “Taste and see that the Lord is good, “and “Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord.” Tasting and teaching are qualities I hope for from a wine steward, and expect from the pulpit.

No comments: