Saturday, December 09, 2006

Both Of Them Wild: The Heart and the Call

Just push it to the edge. Ever feel like that? Like there’s more to life, that you are wired for intensity; wired to go deeper? I had a flicker of that feeling again today while out running in the cold wind. That feeling that I want to push with everything I am-for something. That something that I’m meant for.

I think it’s my manhood calling. At times past I wasn’t sure what to make of it. Perhaps it even scared me a little. Yet I am pretty sure it’s meant to be there. For a long time, I suppressed it. Dillo is not supposed to be wild, or unpredictable, or intense. I’m not exactly sure where the wrong message came from, but I’m certain that I understood it correctly. So I suppressed it. Tried to bury the thing. But it kept coming back. And the life stealing messages kept coming too. From the wife who made fun of me when I would succumb to zeal, when I would share my heart at its deepest level. And from the old tapes inside my head.

A dear friend and fellow adventurer often reminds me of the words of Robert Service;

They have cradled you in custom, they have primed you with their preaching,
They have soaked you in convention through and through;
They have you in a showcase; you’re a credit to their teaching-
But can’t you hear the Wild?-it’s calling you.
Let us probe the silent places, let us seek what luck betide us;
Let us journey to a lonely land I know.
There’s a whisper on the night-wind, there’s a star agleam to guide us,
And the Wild is calling, calling…let us go.

And John Eldredge writes, “Like it or not, there is something fierce in the heart of every man.” It is good to be reminded of these things. And this day, this month, this coming year-I WILL allow myself to be wild, and to heed The Call of the Wild.

No comments: