Thursday, April 03, 2008

Waiting On The Prophet

The story goes like this: The prophet Samuel tells the newly anointed king Saul, “Go down before me to Gilgal; and behold, I will come down to you to offer burnt offerings and sacrifice peace offerings. You shall wait seven days until I come to you and show you what you should do.” So, Saul waits seven days; and still no Samuel. The people around Saul are getting antsy. Trouble’s brewing in the camp; and they’re getting a little bored with the Saul show.

So Saul starts the barbeque early. Could have waited a little longer; but noooooo, he was losing his fan club. The text says, “As soon as he finished offering the burnt offering, behold, Samuel came…”

I was supposed to be signing the divorce documents today. My attorney can’t show up in court Monday, so the spouse and her attorney decided there’s no hurry to finish the paperwork on their end. Great. Now I find myself disappointed. Dissapointed, angry and frustrated. I really want closure on this thing.

So what does that have to do with King Saul? Apparently, the king forgot who is running the show. He was looking to his timeline, not that of God. Not being faithful in that one little thing cost him the kingdom. So it is I’m learning to trust God’s timing in this thing; though so far I’m not doing a great job of it.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Big sigh.

I know how tolling this must be. I'll continue praying.

On a lighter note, does this mean you see yourself as the king?