Sunday, May 10, 2009

Soul Food My Mother Gave Me





One has to zigzag to walk the path into mom’s backyard. Past the pine tree, around and between the cacti, along a row of ivy, dodge the succulunts, guard yourself against more cactus, until you get into the wide expanse of the backyard. There you are greeted by the swimming pool, the ever-nesting dove, lavender, nasturtiums, fern, strawberries and oranges. All healthy, all thriving.

One of the things I’ve given up since living in the rental house, is gardening. Previously I’d had rose bushes, and vegetables, trees and cactus too. Nature or nurture, a green thumb from my mother. The gardening greened my soul. Perhaps its time again.

Driving long distances with Hailey, I often hear, “Do we HAVE to listen to talk radio?” To which I reply, “You are fortunate that I let you listen to stuff that you like. When aunt D and I were driving with my mom, the only station we listened to was the classical station.” Exposure to classical music, Opera, Broadway show tunes, Latvian ethnic, all came to me from mom. The reason I enjoy music all the time, that I’m fairly eclectic, that I’m writing this with Third Day blaring; all mom’s fault.

“A gourmet cook,” “A masterful entertainer,” “Sunset magazine embodied,” were some of the comments overheard at the memorial. While writing this, my sister called. She found a drawer full of the recipes we grew up on. Cornish game hens, stuffed bell peppers, meatloaf, mushroom soups.

Stereotypes are funny. I enjoy bringing prepared food and baked goods to parties. Prior to the actual event people will ask me if I’m a good cook. They must have some vision of the single guy making grilled cheese day after day because he can’t make anything else. I’ve been collecting recipes since high school, and have enjoyed baking and cooking since junior high.

All of these feed my soul, and were kneaded into my heart through hours spent watching my mom garden, and cook, and entertain, all while Prokofiev or Man of La Mancha played in the background.

How about you? What has your mother taught you? What key things has she worked into your life that you are thankful for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice. The ever nesting dove has taken to pecking at the watering can instead of flying off. She got so puffed up and angry that I just let her be, and explained to her that her nice fern was not going to be so cool and pleasant if it dies. She just glared at me.D