Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Rivers In the Desert-Resolutions for 2010

I made no New Year Resolutions in 2009. We’d celebrated Christmas eve in the hospital at my mom’s bedside, then moved on to a local restaurant. Come New Year I couldn’t see past the cancer diagnosis. The cancer stole my resolutions for last year.

I start this year with three simple resolutions.

The first has to do with the previous quote from the War of Art, by Pressfield.

I resolve to work at writing. That means fifty blog posts where I’ve wrestled with words and typed them at this keyboard. There will be other posts with pictures, or quotes, or postcards, but those do not count toward THE FIFTY. Furthermore, I will have at least one post up by each Sunday save special circumstances such as vacations. (Yes, this post counts).

There is a bike ride from Seattle to Portland (STP). Seven years ago I was talked into attempting said ride---in one day. We rode 185 miles of the 200 plus miles before running out of daylight. For my friend Glenn and I, this summer marks our turning fifty. We’ve resolved to finish STP this year.

Attempting Seattle to Portland in 2007 nearly killed me. So, before I go, I resolve to establish my Will.

God has a plan for 2010. Speaking in the book of Isaiah, He says, “Do not call to mind the former things, Or ponder things of the past.
Behold, I will do something new,
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it? I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
Rivers in the desert.”

I believe 2010 will be a life-affirming year. Let us resolve to press forward, drinking deeply of the new rivers that flow into our lives.

No comments: