Saturday, January 27, 2018

My Monasticism



I am not called to poverty,
Not convinced it will set me free;
By my choice or by decree,
Money doesn’t follow me.

I’m not forced to steal or plead,
Have no want for daily bread;
Have access to pool and gas char-grill,
While many fend for just a meal.

Five thousand living just by me,
Labelled homeless; categorically,
In river-wash and county seat,
Lord could I learn to wash their feet?

I seek to live in simplicity,
For that is what Christ wants from me,
Much in debt I want more toys,
Am I the source of all the noise?

‘Where there is injury, pardon,’
Offended by world my heart does harden,
I’m less like a saint than a Pharisee,
Living like Christ hasn’t died for me.

I am called to death and cross,
For sake of Christ count all as loss,
For we are all monks in part,
When we follow from the heart.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Poetic and pointed, time to reflect my friend

Dillo said...

A little deeper than the sandwich post?

Matt said...

Yup.

Forrest Kendall said...

As Dave Ramsey frequently says: "Money is a great servant, but a terrible master."