Thursday, January 10, 2008

Audience Participation: Favorite Reads

Why is it that we love lists? Best movies, best Roadfood, worst dressed, 10 best places to visit, best list of Best Lists, and on and on it goes. Today I came across this list of Desiring God's favorite books for 2007. Fun stuff. Go ahead and list your favorite reads-for last year, or for your lifetime-in the comments section.

I'll start. It is hard to narrow a list down to my favorite books. Here is a short list. I may update it as they come to me.
Lord of the Rings-J.R.R. Tolkien

The Count of Monte Cristo-Alexandre Dumas. A great book (and decent movie) dealing with providence, revenge, and grace.

Winston Spencer Churchill: The Last Lion Alone-William Manchester. If we don't understand history, we are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

Phantom Tollbooth-Norton Juster. Best 'children's' book evah.

Wild at Heart-John Eldredge. This booked rocked my world and is a continuing inspiration and influence.

Desiring God-John Piper. I consider Piper my second pastor. His theology of Christian hedonism has changed the way I view God, life, and God's desire for our lives.

That's my short list. I look forward to reading yours.


1 comment:

Robert said...

Oh I so want to participate. But I hate to admit I'm so much NOT a reader. And it would look pretty pathetic to list magazine titles in your search for favorite reads!