Monday, February 25, 2008

On Being Free

Hailey’s mom just sent me an email confirming that she was no longer Epstein-ing** me for one of our properties. She then asked if I felt that it was a breath of fresh air to no longer have to cough up the dough for the mortgage and miscellaneous expenses.

Thinking about it, I replied that I feel much like I imagine the slaves felt when Lincoln set them free. Two of the properties that I owned I no longer own. Granted, I’ve got a chunk of change, but no solid property as an investment. And I expect I’ll have my freedom from the marriage and all of the emotional baggage and beatings. Unlike some slaves, I had what I thought were the solid, good things one should have at the age of 47. Now, by and large, I’m free to move on. Move on to what, though? That is the question, the mystery, and the opportunity.

Picture by Thomas Nast

**"Given that it takes a minimum of six months and one day to obtain a divorce in California, it is common for one spouse to continue paying community debts while the divorce is pending. When a party uses his or her separate property for community purposes after separation, that party, as a general matter is entitled to reimbursement."

No comments: