Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Him In Whom the Fullness Dwells

For it pleased the Father, that in Him all the fullness should dwell,
And by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross-Colossians 1:19,20

Dear God,

What I’m feeling isn’t pain-exactly,
Nor emptiness.
In my darkness, frailty, and confusion,
I think holding a woman would,
End the discomfort.

To fill the emptiness,
I will turn to things I can feel, touch and taste.
Like David before me,
Bottle and bathing beauties soothe my boredom.
God, I will submit to weakness,
To feel something beside not feeling.

Bread I can eat, wine I can drink,
Both I can taste.
God of wheat, Owner of the vineyard,
Who knew me in the womb,
Be my sustenance and satisfaction,
Him in whom The Fullness dwells,
Be my fullness and comfort.

2 comments:

Grafted Branch said...

This gives me pause--did you write it yourself?

And I join you in such a prayer...

That He would be my EVERYTHING. And that I would continuously know the satisfaction of the truth that He is enough.

Anonymous said...

Your prayer is beautiful and familiar. The temptation to reach for the temporal things to fill the lonely places. God knows our weaknesses and our frame. I am thankful that He is not one bit surprised by my frequent failings.

And thank you for your encouragement Dillo. Your words have been encouraging. God knows we needed people with "skin on" to lighten our heavy loads.