Sunday, September 30, 2007

Five Important Things I've Taught My Daughter-and Other Jazz

1) Doesn’t take a Weather Man to know which way the wind blows: The black rain clouds with streaks means it’s raining “over there.”

2) How to ride a bike. Bicycling magazine had a great training article on this and I taught Hailey to ride a bike, confidently, in only 15 minutes. Then, I taught her friend successfully. Now its something that Hailey loves to do. Her bike lives up here with me. We ride together whenever we get the chance. Hopefully it will be something that will continue to be as much a passion for her as it is for me.

3) Music appreciation. Whenever Hailey’s over, I have music playing. And most other times too. My first purchase after moving into this place was a stereo. I think my 2nd was a stereo cabinet. I’m fairly eclectic in my musical tastes; so she’s been exposed to everything and everyone from Johnny Cash, to Carmina Burana, Elvis Costello to, Elvis. And lots of Third Day, of course.

While my sister and I were kids, my mom always had a record going; opera, Harry Belafonte, all kinds of Broadway musicals, and a significant range of classical. How else would I come to love Carmina Burana? Now that my sis and I are adults, we are both very eclectic---and music plays a huge part in both of our lives. My hope is that by exposing Hailey to it now, she’ll grow in appreciation of it.

4) John Lee Hooker and jazz. “Listen; hear how that riff sounds a lot like CCR? Who do you think influenced them? (just guessing here)” I’m fightin a battle on this front. Hailey’s mom always says, “I don’t like jazz.” Don’t like jazz? May as well say you don’t like breathing air. So I am constantly pointing out to Hailey that there are a thousand jazz styles. And that its influence is gigantic.

Driving in the car one time, I exposed her to John Lee Hooker. Some of his lyrics, coupled with the music, are fairly base. But I kind of figure that if Hailey knows that I’m hot for Katie Fehlinger (“Katie Flinger”) ---and not because of her weather expertise----than she can probably handle her dad singing along with John Lee.

5) The best country songs are drinking songs. There’s no contesting it. Songs like, “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off,” “Its 5 O’clock Somewhere,” and “Ten Rounds with Jose Cuervo” are the best sing along songs.

1 comment:

Robert said...

I'd have been in full support and approval had this post been titled, "FOUR Important Things I've Taught My Daughter-and Other Jazz." You just plain lost me at number 5. "The best country songs..." Ok, ok, I admit some of it has grown on me. But don't tell anyone!

Did I know you liked jazz? After this many years did I know that? We have to talk. I love jazz too. Got that from my dad. He was a into big band jazz.

And since your daughter is now a cyclist, will she be joining us on "the ride?" Perhaps even setting the pace?