Friday, July 26, 2013

The Importance of a Doctrinal Framework for the Christian


My friends Dave and Deb applied to serve with Wycliffe as missionaries. As part of the application process they were required to write out their own personal theology. Even though they knew the bible and what they believed the process forced them to wrestle with doctrine and delineate their belief system. Most Christians would not be able to do this.

Without understanding the truth it is easy to believe a lie. Thus the Enemy has whispered to Christians throughout history that since they err and sin entrance into Heaven is forbidden. Rather than freeing from behaviour that offends God this embroils them in it. Knowing you are dead to sin will free you. Thinking you must be perfect; that God certainly couldn’t forgive you will enslave you deeper in the error of besetting sin.

When I understood, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,” I was still wrestling with sexual brokenness and significant selfishness. Knowing this truth allowed me to get back into the fight rather than curling up in a ball and giving up. Finally I was freed enough to work through my issues and see God significantly change my attitudes and actions.

As I move into my fortieth year of following Christ I am ever more convinced that knowing what one believes will bring many a person through difficult circumstances with conscience intact and feet on solid ground. Therefore it is necessary for each of us to know what we believe and have a framework, a bulwark even, to keep us anchored, sober and steadfast.

“…we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us…”Hebrews 6:19

No comments: