Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Edgy Gospel


“My father left my home when I was young, so when I was introduced to the concept of God as Father I imagined Him as a stiff, oily man who wanted to move into our house and share a bed with my mother….” Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller


Edgy: adjective; having a bold, provocative, or unconventional quality .

Mine is a unique age whereas those that I once considered edgy now seem status quo. Certainly I see through a clouded lens. Edgy isn’t measurable. There are variables. I am now familiar with those I considered edgy. The teachers I grew up with are now older, many being in their seventies and eighties (Swindoll, MacArthur, Sproul). Age sometimes smoothes the edges off---teachers, pastors and pundits not being immune.

What I am not saying (Lord keep me from thinking this) is being different and unique for the sake of standing out is a good thing. What I am saying is that using new media, a fresh writing style or balls out speaking style to challenge people in their complacency is a good thing.

Truth and transparency are edgy. Those that are seeking to grow and go deeper will respond to truth in a medium. They are used to hearing, “blah, blah, blah, status quo,” over and over. When somebody comes and speaks truth they will hear it. For example look at this text from Acts, “Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus.” The message penetrated because it was seasoned with truth and transparency.

The challenge I face as a communicator and that we face in proclaiming truth is to be not only relevant but thought provoking. God doesn’t fit inside a box. Neither should the way we present Him.

No comments: