Sunday, October 21, 2012

Time Tunnel Travel

“Two American scientists are lost in the swirling maze of past and future ages, during the first experiments on America's greatest and most secret project, the Time Tunnel. Tony Newman and Doug Phillips now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure, somewhere along the infinite corridors of time."   So began the Time Tunnel series in 1966. According to Wikipedia, the Time Tunnel itself is like a long corridor that stretches through the time continuum with portals that allow access to any moment in history past, present, or future. When I read the Bible I feel connected to those that have gone before me. I feel I am standing on the shoulders of patriarchs and saints of yesteryear.

Though I haven’t found any secret portals the Bible writers allude to the fact that we are connected to those that have gone before us. Ephesians tells us we are fellow citizens with the saints, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets. The writer of Hebrews cheers us on in noting that we have a “great cloud of witnesses surrounding us,” by which the writer refers to the ancient ones that gained approval through their faith.

In my head I know that the Bible is just ink and paper. Since getting my first one as a teenager though I see myself as a runner in a relay. The baton handed down to me on ink and paper as I am to hand the message off to the next generation. Perhaps it’s my Jewish roots or my love of history that has me thinking this way.

“By luck (or lack thereof) the travelers, Doug and Tony, frequently found themselves thrown onto the precipice of major historical events: They would try to warn people about the event or try to prevent it from happening…while the Time Tunnel crew, who once gaining a "fix" can view through the Tunnel the action taking place in the different time, would try to rescue the travelers before the historical calamity befell them too.”  We too find ourselves on the precipice of major events.  As it was for Tony Newman and Doug Phillips a portal is open for us through which enlightened voices speak to us words of direction and wisdom.  May we be that voice in our own time.

No comments: