Saturday, September 15, 2012

Being Alone


Though the word of the Lord came and an Angel visited I suspect Elijah had days and seasons of feeling alone. When reading the account I don’t see a Tonto for Elijah. I’m reading through Exodus now. Moses had Aaron but even at that it seems he lacked an equal to share his burdens. He had no choice but to be satisfied in God.

We have the Word of God and the Holy Spirit dwelling in us and still I suspect most of us feel loneliness at times. Life is just difficult and though we have great wives and funky loving children sometimes they just can’t touch those places in our hearts. Sometimes it feels like even God can’t.

The world is set up for surface satisfaction. Nothing really tastes. Jesus walked that road and kept up a continous conversation with His Father, as Peter says about Him, “He kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously.” There is no simple satisfaction for the hunger of our hearts to be in fellowship.

Funny thing that when we feel worst we want to be alone or so we tell ourselves. That is a big lie. We need deep friendships that touch heart and hurt. Skating on the surface is like skating on thin ice. Soon it cracks and we come up short. I don’t have the problem of deep friendships. I do feel alone. I’m working on being real with God more and sharing this stuff. The wife of a year delights in deep relationship as well. So I take a deep breath. I admit the feelings and that I don’t get it. I write it. I pray it. I pursue fullness in Christ.



“For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and you have been given fullness in Christ”

No comments: