Saturday, September 22, 2012

God's Providential Care

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of Jehovah, He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in whom I trust.
...Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night, Nor for the arrow that flieth by day;  For the pestilence that walketh in darkness, Nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.  A thousand shall fall at thy side, And ten thousand at thy right hand; But it shall not come nigh thee.....Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.  He shall call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble: I will deliver him, and honor him.---from Psalm 91 NASV

At play in a lot in Italy two children uncover a piece of metal which turns out to be a leftover mine from WWII. This story from a missionary friend has a happy ending with nobody hurt. We can either chalk it up to coincidence or we give thanks for God’s providential care. The same can be said for our lives. I play the video of my life and note time and time again things that could have gone wrong but didn’t.

Today I noted that others at work are having great difficulty with my boss and his attitude toward them. I don’t know if it’s something as simple as relating to his sarcasm but I’ve been unscathed. Reverse to the 7-11 I worked at after high school. The other part time employee that worked same shift alternate days was constantly getting his car keyed and being attacked personally. The paint job on my car remained intact. A hold-up at the same store left me shaken but without bullet holes. I’ve had run-ins with trucks which turned out to only be near misses. Break-ins to neighbor’s cars happened on a weekend I just happened to be out of town. It’s a long list.

We see through a glass darkly but to the man that is completely blind these instances seem simply serendipitous. We heard from a Marine today about one of his buddys that lost a leg in an assault on his MRAP-MATV ( Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle). Terrible result of enemy attack but his life was protected. On the heels of a week where God seemed far away it is good to be reminded that His hand is outstretched and holds me in it.






No comments: