Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Scent Of A Flower Not Found

  For they are not the thing itself; they are only the scent of a flower we have not found, the echo of a tune we have not heard, news from a country we have never yet visited. – CS Lewis, 1942, The Weight of Glory

Perhaps that is why Pinterest is such a big hit. Pictures call to us of places we long to be and of dreams we hope to achieve. The lyrics from Cloverton’s song “Take me into the mystery, gently lift me with Your grace
Make the chaos a chorus, with Yourself come fill this place” speak of the deep longing we have for ‘the country we have never yet visited.’

Art in all it’s forms is a reflection of Beauty Himself. I grew up listening to classical music. I can get lost listening to a great piece of music until I am caught up beyond the music into a place of beauty that the music hints at. An Ansel Adams picture will have the same affect.

For myself my soul resounds when my body is face to face with vibrant music. My soul sings and my eyes delight in photos which catch a hint of the beauty of creation; nature or human. Ultimately they stoke the fire that to easily goes out in me. I am reminded that there is a tune I have not heard, a country I have not visited, a face I have not seen.

No comments: