Sunday, February 03, 2013

Vulnerable, Unclothed and Unprotected

 
The safest place to be ourselves, fully vulnerable, is with family. Deeper than that is with our spouse for they know you unclothed and unprotected. Of course I speak in earthly terms. Ultimately our relationship with God fully frees us to be ourselves. When I think on these things my mind springs to King David.

Here was a man wholly comfortable in his own skin. In his roles as warrior, dancer, worship leader and king he gave his all. So much so that when he brought the ark home,
“ And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was [h]wearing a linen ephod……Then it happened as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David that Michal the daughter of Saul looked out of the window and saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.”
So King David danced before God and all the people in worship. However he was not safe to celebrate in his own house. The text indicates that Michal scorned him. What tension there must have been behind those closed doors.

I must strive to give ourselves wholly to God. Realizing that in Christ is the safest place I live out of that acceptance in work, in worship and in my home. This means I work at giving grace to others that they may be safe. It is said that love covers a multitude of sins but it also allows room for others to be wholly free to worship. My hearts desire is to ‘dance like David danced.’ May that also free up others to rejoice and dance along.

No comments: