Thursday, August 02, 2012

Humility


If anyone would like to acquire humility, I can, I think, tell him the first step.  The first step is to realise that one is proud.  And a biggish step, too.  At least, nothing whatsoever can be done before it.  If you think you are not conceited, it means you are very conceieted indeed.--C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

A humble person is the most refreshing of people. Everyone wants to be the center of their own universe. From the early morning look in the mirror to the work cafeteria the ears are filled with people talking about themselves. The store directors I work for are filled with it. They are able to demand center stage. They make certain the spotlight is on them always even when they are deflecting. It’s quite the art form.

One is startled to come across someone that focuses on you. They listen to your words and seek to know your heart. In their humility they manifest all the gifts of the Spirit; peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.

I want more. I wrestle with contentment. I fail to be thankful. Craig in my men’s group always reminds me to be content with what I have. Beyond that he strongly encourages me to be thankful. “Do you have a house, food on the table, clothes to wear on your body? Give thanks for those things.” Craig wrestles with health issues and job issues. God hasn’t made him rich but talking to him you would never know that. He is comfortable in his place at home and in the universe.

God meets with humble people face to face. Moses, Abraham, Stephen, Paul, Peter all humble, all humbled. Those of us who are proud fall. Into snares, traps, temptations and countless other big-name vices we hurtle. Rather let me fall on Christ for my example, Moses for my manna.

No comments: