Friday, August 03, 2012

This Faith Walk

This faith walk is a mysterious thing. I am reading through Genesis. The snapshots like Escher paintings. At first look they are simple. Then you look deeper and realize the complexity and the questions come. Abraham believed God, Joseph ran rather than break fellowship with God, Moses beseeches God to show his glory; how did they learn these things?


How did we make it all about following rules? It is rather simple, isn’t it? One listens to God.  One hears God and listens both. The listening is followed by doing. Abram leaves Ur, Moses leaves Egypt, Joseph stays in Egypt, God directed and our forefathers followed. Why do I make it more than that?

I am like Winnie-the-Pooh, a bear of little brain. You would think then that the clarity of the faith call would be perfect for me. Simple directions for a simple man. I think too much. I question, I doubt, I seek control for my sake. The waters get muddy and I start thinking that, “If I do the right thing, God will love me and do what I want.”

Did you see how easy it was to reverse that? God is there to serve me. Whoops! Time to seek some quiet and gain perspective--back to walking with God again in the garden and cultivating relationship with Him. In my mind I hear Paul whisper, “Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity.” I want to do some significant penance. God says Jesus took care of all that. Time for me to be still and know Him, listen, and then move. Easy Peezy.

No comments: