Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Coming Up On January 1st-Goal Setting


It’s coming up on January 1st. Traditionally I look back at the old year and set goals for the new. Last year I spent much time thinking about story. This year the wife and I have some key goals established already. Certainly though we need to be purposeful in setting direction for this new year. We either shoot blindly hoping to hit something or use tools to get us to where we want to go. I am thinking I need a grid of some sort.

Let us spend the following week thinking about goal setting. What does it look like? How do we do it? We do know it has to be achievable and measurable. It should be specific. Advisors will tell you to use the SMART acronym when goal setting (see the Mind Tools article):

S-Specific/Significant
M-Measurable
A-Attainable (action oriented)
R-Relevant (rewarding)
T-Time bound (trackable)

I’m going to spend tomorrow working through my own personal grid. I’ll let you know what I come up with.

No comments: