Friday, December 28, 2012

Let God Be Your Support




It’s not everyday that you cuss out your boss. I’d had a very bad morning running the kiosk. People had been lined up all day for coffee. In a situation that screamed for two baristas management had only given me enough hours for one. So when I found out that they cut my hours for next week my words erupted relaying the emotion that had been percolating all morning.


Over dinner I said, “There are many things I like about my job. It’s the lack of support that really bothers me.” To which my wife replied, “It is at those times that God must be your support.” That is a true and serious statement.

What does it accomplish though? I want change and action. I want the ruler of the universe to step in and kick upper management’s…understanding of customer service into the trash can. Letting God be my support seems so uneventful. Picture Bruce Willis in Die Hard. Would he let someone else be his support? No he’d go in guns blazing, “Yippee ki yay!”

I think my wife hit the nail on the head. We serve a different type of leader. We don’t go in to battle trusting in our flesh and regalia. Our kingdom is not of this world. The leaders of this world lord it over them but we serve.

It’s in the serving that I must learn to lean on God. I must allow Him to support me that I can serve and support others. It’s tough for me. I’d rather be screaming “Yippee ki yay” then, “Thy will be done.” That’s how it feels anyway. So it’s a battle. As Paul said, “though we walk in the flesh we do not war according to the flesh.” Perhaps Peter said it best,
“For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps who committed no sin, nor was any deceit found in his mouth and while being reviled, He did not revile in return; while suffering, He uttered no threats, but kept entrusting Himself to Him who judges righteously.”
May I find the support to do so.

*With special thanks to Val who inspired today’s blog post.



No comments: