Monday, December 24, 2012

Half Jewish


It’s not a usual pedigree being half-Jewish. My mom was lukewarm Lutheran and dad was Jewish by blood (not practice). There are rare occasions when I realize I don’t fit perfectly with Jews for Jesus but I don’t completely fit the typical church going stereotype. Though this sometimes feels awkward there is one thing that’s resulted from it. I feel a strong connection to characters in the Old Testament story.

I feel a strong connection with King David for instance. Not because I’m royalty or anything. I recognize that I want a heart for God. I also realize my total depravity and that I am capable of king size blunders. It is easiest to connect to David in these blunders and to cry out with his words, “Wash me thoroughly from my inequity and cleanse me from my sin.”

The only hope for cleansing comes through King David’s bloodline and to the city named after him, “for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” It is a mixed bloodline as well. The ancestry of Jesus contains four women, all gentiles, Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and Bathsheba. The fullness of the lineage is met in Christ who is our peace, “who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall.” For it is written, “Joseph, son of David…take Mary as your wife…She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”

No comments: