Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Devil-We Are Not Unaware Of His Schemes


“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils.  One is to disbelieve in their existence.  The other is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.”-C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

It was as if her yell set free my vision.


The alarm sounded at four a.m. giving me four less hours of sleep than desired. Getting into work I felt out of sync with the universe. Before breakfast I was berated by a fellow supervisor for work issues. On the heels of that encounter my assistant store director informed me that hours were going to be cut in my department. Blow after blow the universe looked a dark place.

The customer approached the register and, with an accent, ordered a latte with no flavor. As is our procedure I wrote the order on the cup. She said, “I would like to pay first.” I took her money which she would not hand me but which she slapped onto the counter. As I began to get her order she began a tirade. “A man from Brazil once slept with me and he did not respect me. It is important that a man respect a woman…” She began to yell.

Like lightning on a summer day the curtain was ripped open and I saw the truth. Speaking of the devil Paul says, “We are not unaware of his schemes.” Yes my day was going horribly. Certainly the customer ranting was out of her mind. Inciting my customer and shading the events the devil was wont to ruin my attitude and have me blame God.

I am not unaware of his schemes. Lack of sleep and trials of life may ‘hide His lovely face.’ I must be reminded of God’s goodness as contrasted to the powers of darkness. Then I can see the big picture, smile, remember the Giver of Joy, and move forward.

No comments: