Saturday, January 05, 2013

Current Christian Music



Why does some current Christian song go mainstream while others die? Everybody can sing along with “I Can Only Imagine.” Townend and Keith Getty’s “In Christ Alone” just celebrated it’s 10th anniversary and has gone on to being recorded by such greats as Ricky Skaggs and Allison Krauss. Obviously there is a difference in the musical quality. Is there a difference beyond that?


The songs that ring eternal speak to our deep cry as broken human beings. “This Cornerstone, this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm,” meets me amidst a life of darkness and focuses my eyes heavenward. Listen to a line from Sanctus Real’s I’m Not Allright: ‘Burn away the pride, bring me to my weakness til everything I hide behind is gone.’ They catch the plight of humanity since Adam---hiding behind whatever we can until hiding doesn’t work any longer. When we give up running away where do we run to?

Songs that seep into culture have a root in scripture and magnify Christ as God, “Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall, Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all I can only imagine.” Or from Matt Redman’s ‘You Never Let Go
”And I can see a light that is coming for the heart that holds on A glorious light beyond all compare And there will be an end to these troubles But until that day comes
We'll live to know You here on the earth…” Our hearts find solace in a future hope found in the pages of scripture and secured by Christ in Heaven."
The airwaves are filled with many good Christian songs. There are some that are set apart by great music. The best rise above them because they echo the longing of broken hurting humans for redemption and escape from this ‘veil of tears.’ That hope has been sealed for us through the blood of Christ. The songs that will be sung through eternity celebrate these truths.

No comments: