Monday, January 28, 2013

Vizzini Was Right


Vizzini was right. There are times you have to go back to the beginning. Peter says the same thing in his gospel, “I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them…” I’ve been a Christ follower a long time. There are times when joy and wonder are lost and I feel like I am doing it by rote. There are days lately when I wonder about the efficacy of prayer. It is at these times that I have to go back to the beginning.

Peter goes on to say, “I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder…” I go through seasons, or ruts, when I am not stirred up, not passionate and not hungry. I flash back to walking across the Cal State Northridge quad thinking, “Is this all there is?”

The answer was no. This isn’t all there is. Christ isn’t doldrums, He is “Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge….For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form.” So I go back to scripture. I force myself to meditate on being stirred by majesty. I make myself sing hymns (which sounds as if its an act of attrition but in the singing and meditation is joy and refreshment) that focus on Christ; How great thou art.

The most common mistake men make in similar circumstances is to run from God. We must run to God and cry to Him for revival and refreshing. In the running toward God we are already experiencing the answer to our prayers. He will draw us; we must be willing to be drawn.

No comments: