Friday, January 25, 2013

Woman On The Front Lines The Wrong Policy

We’ve now given the green light for women to fight on the front lines. Everyday I wake up and read the news and everyday brings news that is in conflict with views I’ve had since childhood; logical, sane views.

Jerry Boykin writes in USA Today that, “It is the wrong policy because it ignores fundamental biological differences between the sexes, and the natural implications of those differences.” It was 1994 and we were living near Northridge, California. The earthquake came at 4:31 in the morning, a long roller not a shaker like previous quakes I’d been in. Everything came loose from the walls; glass, mirrors and knick-knacks. I dove to cover my wife. That was my instinct. It wasn’t her instinct to dive and cover me.

There are historic norms and there are fundamental differences. Living in an age of relativism we seek to deny absolutes even those as obvious as the shape of our bodies and the working of our minds. “So God created man in His own image, in the image and likeness of God He created him; male and female He created them.” Breaking down the wall doesn’t assure equality it destroys one more bulwark of society.

No comments: