Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Listening To The Holy Spirit


But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.---Hebrews 5:14

I wonder if it happens often but I just don’t listen. Today I was talking to a Marine that is stationed at ’29.’ We got to talking about how employers have lost sight of tradition so that everybody is open for business New Years Day and Christmas. He’s been serving in the Marines for 14 years with 6 to go. Out of nowhere the thought came to me and I blurted, “What’s your name?” He told me it was Edwin. I told him that I would pray for him to which he responded that he needed it and that it was good to have, “the prayers of fellow Christians.”

Years ago I was driving home from work. Being single I contemplated the fast-food dinner options and realized that I was really hungry for a burrito. My mind and stomach told me they wanted Baja Fresh but on a different level I had a sense that I should go to Mannys. I had this inner discussion with myself but decided that maybe there was a reason to go to Mannys though Baja Fresh was my craving. The girl that took my order that day was wrestling with knowing about Christianity but she had no bible to read. Serendipitously I had one in my car. Though used and tattered I gave it to her trusting it would be read.

Hebrews tells us it is through practice that we train our senses. I am not certain how that works but certainly I can be willing and prayerful. I must also be willing to have my plans altered to respond to these promptings. My wish is that the Holy Spirit would shout louder but I suspect I just need to listen better.

No comments: